Opportunity: Finance Officer
Accepting Applications from 29th January 2019 – 15th February 2019
The Gay and Lesbian Coalition of Kenya (GALCK) is the national umbrella body for 16 organizations advocating for sexual orientation gender identity and expression (SOGIE) issues in Kenya. Together, we envision a safe and enabling environment for SOGIE organizations and individuals.
GALCK is looking for a self-motivated individual to join the Secretariat. Reporting to the Executive Coordinator, the Finance Officer will oversee the management of GALCK’s financial resources by effectively monitoring the utilization of resources through structured systems and programs that ensure compliance with GALCK’s policies and procedures, donor partner requirements, statutory requirements and International Accounting Standards and best practices of financial management.
Financial Accounting and Management
- Ensure all accounting data is coded and processed to the general ledger and that there is always a system in place that cause the production of timely and accurate reports for financial accounting at GALCK.
- Ensure the preparation of monthly financial and management accounts.
- Support staff in the preparation of budgets and share financial reports with program and operations staff at specified times in order to inform their spending and absorption rates.
- Ensure effective and efficient management of GALCK’s bank accounts.
- Ensure preparation of quarterly financial reports.
- Ensure adherence to internal and external financial policies.
- Assist management in monitoring the annual budget.
- Ensure the recording and tracking of fixed assets including provision for depreciation for year-end processes.
- Ensure that GALCK’s annual audit and any other organisational audits are carried out successfully.
Management of payment processes.
- Supervise preparation of requests for quotations and purchase orders by reviewing requests made and purchase orders issued to ensure they adhere to GALCK’s Finance and Procurement policy.
- Supervise processing of payments by reviewing payment requests and vouchers to ensure correct budget and donor allocations, accuracy, completeness and clear audit trail.
- Together with the Operations Officer, ensure the payroll is prepared and statutory and other payroll deductions are remitted to relevant authorities in a timely manner.
- Ensure any floats are accounted for in a timely manner in terms of activities undertaken and the respective financial outlays.
Fundraising and Management of Donor Funds
- Work with the EC to prepare GALCK’s annual organizational budget and chart out the funding sources.
- Prepare budgets as necessary and assist and provide the information required to the EC for purposes of budget preparation and fundraising.
- In compliance with donor requirements, ensure that appropriate financial procedures and standards are implemented and monitored in the organization.
- Track expenditure against budgets to ensure that donor funds are spent in accordance to the signed donor contracts.
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher in either Finance, Commerce, Business Administration or any related field.
- Professional qualifications in Accounting and Financial Management such as Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- At least three years’ demonstrable experience in working in a finance department.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and commitment to human rights and social justice, particularly knowledge and experience of LGBTIQ rights.
- Familiarity with grants management and administration would be desirable.
- Demonstrable experience in resource mobilisation and donor reporting.
- Strong organisational and management skills with attention to detail.
- Sensitivity, flexibility, and ability to communicate clearly and effectively with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Demonstrable analytic and strategic thinking skills.
Terms and conditions:
This position is long-term with compensation that is negotiable and commensurate with level of experience and expertise. GALCK is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on any basis.
To apply please submit:
- A cover letter describing why you are interested in the position and why you are the ideal candidate for this position.
- Your CV.
- Details of current salary or salary expectations.
Send your application documents to email@example.com with Finance Officer as subject heading. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.